Huntington Breast Cancer Action Coalition, Inc. (HBCAC) is a not-for-profit grassroots organization founded 25 years ago to provide a platform for women to share their breast cancer experience. Our ability to build partnerships helped to structure the national breast cancer movement. HBCAC is focused on prevention and the precautionary principle, while actively helping individuals faced with diagnosis.
A major initiative is Prevention Is The Cure which brings fresh perspective to the causes of all disease. We are convinced that most diseases are not caused by genetics alone, but by the interaction of environmental triggers and genetic predispositions. Our mission is to educate, by providing science-based information in a format that is understandable to the general public.
Look Before You L.E.A.P. Toolkit (includes Bilingual Healthy Reference Cards & Activity Book, Fact Sheets, Game board) offers environmental health information in a non-threatening, age-appropriate manner for children and families. L.E.A.P. stands for Lead, Endocrine Disruptors, Air Pollution, Pesticides.
Students and Scientists Environmental Research Scholarship provides hands-on experience to local high school students giving them opportunities to work beside world renowned researchers & participate in sophisticated laboratory procedures.
Lend a Helping Hand survivors support offers women living in Huntington township undergoing breast cancer treatment, with medical transportation, house cleaning, emergency assistance for prescriptions & medical supplies. Through One to One.
Breast Awareness Training (BAT) presentation is geared toward teenaged girls and adolescence teaching breast self-exams, healthy lifestyle habits while providing a comfortable atmosphere to discuss breast health issues.
Prevention Is The Cure educational series sponsored free programs across New York in partnership with other health organizations to increase public awareness of environmental links to disease, educating residents about ways to reduce exposure to toxic substances.
S. T. O. R. I. (Student Translation and Outreach Research Initiatives) a dedicated newsletter provides a platform to highlight accomplishments of our summer intern student participants. As guardians of the future these young men and women contribute to environmental research and participate at national conferences.
We are recognized for our ability to produce science-based educational materials in various formats. In hard copy, webinar, social media or face to face outreach, it is our responsibility to deliver information to diverse audiences.
Our organization serves many national and federal advisory boards:
- Interagency Breast Cancer & Research Coordinating Committee recently submitted recommendations to US Secretary, Health & Human Services.
- Breast Cancer & the Environment Research Program (BCERP), Windows of Susceptibility project, Community partners, Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai,
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Partners.
- NYS Governor’s Sustainability & Green Procurement Council.
- Breast Cancer and the Environment Research Center (BCERC), Working Group member.
- New York Children’s Environmental Health Center, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- New York State Breast Cancer Network, Chair of Environmental Committee
- New York State Pollution Prevention Institute.
Contact us at:
900 Walt Whitman Rd., LL 12,
Melville NY 11747